Many people who are on a keto diet are struggling with breakfast. While others are too busy in the morning, some are just clueless on what to prepare. In following a keto diet, you must remember that it should contain foods that have low-carb, high-fat content. It means no to pasta and pastries and yes to meat, eggs, and healthy oils.
Breakfast is the hardest to prepare because there are not many ketogenic diet-approved substitutes that you can find, especially when on the run. If you are already tired of bacon and eggs, here are some creative keto breakfast ideas that can fuel you for the day.
What is a good keto breakfast?
An ideal ketogenic diet should be an extremely low-carbohydrate, high fat-diet. Its total daily calories from carbs are 5-10 percent, and as much as 70-80 percent from fats. The carbohydrate content is approximately 20 to 50 grams, according to Mayo Clinic. For a person on a 2000-calorie diet, it is about 225 to 325 grams of carbs.
As for breakfast, you can have plenty of high-carb alternatives. Eggs are a staple breakfast item. You can have it poached, boiled, scrambled, or fried. An omelet with low-carb vegetables like onions, peppers, and mushrooms is a good idea. If you don’t want eggs, you can have Greek yogurt with berries or bacon and ham.
Easy Keto Breakfast Recipes
Eggs and Vegetables Fried in Coconut Oil
- Coconut oil
- Spinach (optional)
- Frozen mix greens (green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
- Add coconut oil to the frying pan and turn up the heat
- Add vegetables. If you are using frozen veggies, thaw them in the heat for a few minutes.
- Add 3-4 eggs.
- Season to taste.
Keto Biscuits and Gravy
- 3 cups finely ground almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ј teaspoon xanthan gum
- Ѕ teaspoon garlic powder
- ј teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs
Breakfast Sausage Gravy
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- Ѕ heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- ј teaspoon xanthan gum
- Ѕ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. Add butter and eggs and continue mixing until thoroughly combined.
- line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Separate the dough into ten balls and gently roll them into slightly flattened discs.
- Place the sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes until it begins to brown.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the sausages until there are no pink remains.
- Add butter to the skillet, break the cream cheese into pieces and place them on the skillet. Mix until it is fully melted for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour heavy cream and broth into the pan. Sprinkle with Xanthan gum and pepper and stir.
- Heat to a low boil, then turn off the heat. Serve over warm biscuits.
Keto Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 sausage patties
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 2 tablespoon sharp cheddar
- ј medium avocado, sliced
- ј to Ѕ teaspoon sriracha
- Salt and pepper
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausages as per package instructions and set aside.
- In a small bowl, place cream cheese and sharp cheddar. Microwave this for 30-30 seconds until it is melted.
- Mix cheese with sriracha and set aside.
- Mix egg with seasoning and make a small omelet.
- Fill the omelet with cheese sriracha and assemble the sandwich.
Bacon & Egg Breakfast Wraps with Avocado
- 2 Almost Zero Carb Wraps
- 3 slices of bacon, cooked
- Ѕ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Ѕ avocado, sliced
- ј cup of salsa
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in the pan until crisp, remove and cut into halves and set aside. Pour out all but 2 tablespoons of bacon oil. Slice the avocado.
- in a small bowl beat the eggs and half of the cheddar cheese with a fork. Cook the scrambled eggs and remove from pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the wraps over a hot pan. Divide the eggs and place them 1/2 each of the wrap. Add the avocado, bacon, and the remaining cheese. Add 1 tablespoon of water to the pan and cover it with lid. Leave for 1-2 minutes until the cheese has melted, and the wraps have browned a bit. Serve with salsa.
Keto Banana Nut Muffins
- 1 ј cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup powdered erythritol
- 2 tablespoon ground flax
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Ѕ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 Ѕ teaspoons banana extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ј cup unsweetened almond milk
- ј cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- ѕ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter, cold and cut in 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered erythritol
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the muffin tin with 10 paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix almond flour, erythritol, flax, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Stir in the butter, banana extract, almond milk, and sour cream. Add the eggs into the mixture and combine.
- Fill the muffin tins with Ѕ to ѕ full of batter.
For the Crumble Topping
- Add walnuts, butter, and almond flour to a food processor. Pulse for a few minutes until the nuts are chopped into small pieces. If the mixture seems too dry, add another tablespoon of butter.
- Sprinkle the bits of mixture evenly over batter and gently press down. Sprinkle erythritol over the crumble mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool for at least 30 minutes.
Q: What can I eat for breakfast on a ketogenic diet?
A: The most obvious choice for keto breakfast is eggs because they are high in protein. You can cook them in many ways or make an omelet with mushrooms and spinach. Substitute the bread with vegetables or meat to lower the carb content.
Q: What can I eat for breakfast in keto beside eggs?
A: you can have other protein options aside from eggs in the form of meat and other meat products. Chicken, turkey sausage, and turkey bacon can fit the bill. If you want to get creative with breakfast, baked goods made from wheat flour are excellent. You can also have liquid breakfast on the go in the form of smoothies using coconut and almond milk.
Q: Is oatmeal OK on a keto diet?
A: If you are at the beginning of a keto diet, it is best to avoid oatmeal or anything with oats as the main ingredients. Once your body has reached ketosis, you can reintroduce oatmeal in small portions.
Q: What cereal can you eat on keto?
A: If you are missing the convenience of morning cereal, you can have coconut milk porridge, which resembles cream of wheat in texture and almond flour porridge that has a nice flavor of almonds. You can also have a granola bar or muesli that are low-carb and made with nuts and seeds on a full-fat Greek yogurt or ice cream.
Q: Can I eat eggs every day on keto?
A: While eggs are an essential part of a keto diet plan and can be eaten every day, it can be tiring to have them regularly.
Q: How many eggs can I eat for breakfast on keto?
A: You can eat as many eggs as you want as long as you do it in moderation. A good number is around 0.6 to 0.9 grams of protein per pound, and one egg has 6 grams of protein. So, if you are 180 pounds, you can eat between 18-27 eggs.
There are many great options for breakfast that into a ketogenic diet plan, you will never run out of options and ideas to try. Aside from eggs, which is full of protein, you can try traditional breakfast meats like bacon and ham and meat for breakfast that are higher in protein and low in saturated fats.
There’s no need to have carbs at breakfast when you can have proteins and healthy fats to start your day right.